Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Holy Hunger

I'm sure I'm not the only one this has ever happened to, but man was I hungry when I stopped at Wal-Mart today after working late. I fully intended to run in, grab the dog food, orange juice and spring mix salad greens, but ended up wandering aimlessly down some of the other aisles, picking up a few things that I "needed." Truthfully, it will save me a trip next week, but still...I did purchase groceries that could have waited, just because I was hungry at the moment.

As I drove home, I was thinking about my current condition in life, and started singing one of my favorite worship songs (below). I want to be more like Christ - more like the old me - but also new and improved as God continues to work in my heart and life. I have that "holy hunger" where God alone can satisfy. Yes, I have been broken, but I have not been abandoned by God in shambles and despair. His touch has healing powers, mentally and spiritually for me specifically, and I've seen physical miracles too (aunt's healing from cancer).

Of course, the danger lies in being so hungry we fill up the cart on things that are not needed or good for us. The caution is to make sure I don't get distracted by thoughts spending time doing things that do not honor God. Longing to fill the God-shaped void in my heart requires things of God, thoughts of God, and time with God. There are no substitutes. Because of the feast with God, I can then taste the sweetness of His blessings in my career, relationships with others, service, etc. Soooo, I must take every thought captive (and there are some I'd be okay with you knowing, but less okay with Him knowing and yet, it doesn't really work that way). I need to invest time and energy in this relationship so I don't feel famished and hunger for things/people that are not of the Lord.

The path to freedom continues. Thanks for your prayers and love!

Alissa

P.S. Okay, okay, I confess I bought a bag of funyons. I won't eat them all at once though. LOL :)

Hungry, I come to you
For I know You satisfy
I am empty, but I know
Your love does not run dry.

So I wait for You
So I wait for You
I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for

Broken, I run to You
For Your arms are open wide
I am weary, but I know
Your touch restores my life

So I wait for You
So I wait for You
I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for

Songwriter: Kathryn Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment